Toddlers transition from 2 naps to 1 nap round 15-18 months outdated, on common, after which will sleep 11-12 hours at evening plus 2-3 hours throughout the day. This text will inform you the best way to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap primarily based on my 15 years as an toddler and toddler sleep advisor.
When Do Toddlers Transition From 2 Naps to 1 Nap?
As I discussed above, most toddlers will transition from 2 naps to 1 nap round 15-18 months outdated, on common. Nevertheless, in my a few years as a sleep advisor, I discover many 13-14-month-olds are able to transition. There are just a few necessary particulars to which to concentrate earlier than you do the transition.
How Do You Know It’s Time to Transition to 1 Nap?
Though we’ve got an in depth article with the signs to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap, right here’s a short abstract:
- It looks like you might be “operating out of daytime” for 2 naps. If nighttime sleep has dropped under 10 hours and you’re feeling squeezed for time, it’s in all probability time to transition.
- Your toddler has a split night that means they’re awake and alert for 1-3 hours in the course of the evening.
- In case your toddler is skipping one among their naps 4 or extra instances every week, it is perhaps time to transition to a 1-nap schedule.
- Lastly, in case your toddler’s bedtime rivals your personal or they’ll’t go to sleep till very late at evening, it is perhaps that their final wake window of the day has gotten too lengthy for a 2-nap schedule.
Easy methods to Transition From 2 Naps to 1 Nap: 3 Strategies
There are a number of methods to transition naps and there isn’t a one-size-fits-all strategy that’s proper for each youngster. Even youngsters inside the similar family would possibly do it in several methods. Listed here are 3 methods you are able to do this necessary transition so you will get it proper on your youngster:
Technique 1: Squeeze the First Nap
In case your toddler tolerates being woken up from a nap, you possibly can strive squeezing the primary nap out so the second nap turns into their noon and solely nap. To squeeze the primary nap out, you begin by progressively lowering the morning nap till it’s a catnap after which encourage a 1-2-hour noon or afternoon nap. Right here’s an instance:
Instance of Shortening the Morning Nap
Day 1: Morning Nap = 50 minutes, Afternoon Nap = 1 hour 30-50 minutes, Whole = 2 hours 10-40 minutes
Day 2: Morning Nap = 45 minutes, Afternoon Nap = 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours, Whole = 2 hours 30-45 minutes
Day 3: Morning Nap = Half-hour, Afternoon Nap = 2+ hours, Whole = 2 1/2 to three hours
Ultimately, you’ll cease providing the morning nap once you assume your toddler is prepared.
- Toddlers who tolerate being woken up
- Toddlers who nonetheless have a shorter (3 to three.5-hour morning wake window)
- Toddlers who’re skipping their afternoon nap however not prepared for a 1-nap schedule
- Your toddler should skip their afternoon nap even with a brief morning nap wherein case you’d comply with Technique 3 under.
- Your toddler is perhaps overtired after a brief morning nap after which take a brief afternoon nap. Give it just a few days earlier than you reevaluate. They might merely want to regulate.
Technique 2: Squeeze the Second Nap
With this technique, your purpose is to progressively transfer the morning nap to later till it turns into the one-and-only nap. To implement this technique, you begin shifting the primary wake window later within the morning by 15-Half-hour daily or each different day after which enable the nap to be so long as your toddler needs it. Then, provide a second nap after a 4-hour wake window. If it’s getting too late within the day, shorten this nap till it’s a 30-45-minute catnap (if that’s a difficulty.) Right here’s an instance:
Instance of Shifting the Morning Nap Later
Day 1: Morning Wake Window = 3.5 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours, Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours (Be aware: Bedtime would possibly quickly get late)
Day 2: Morning Wake Window = 3.75 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours, Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours
Day 3: Morning Wake Window = 4 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours (think about shortening this nap), Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours
Day 4: Morning Wake Window = 4.25 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours (think about shortening this nap), Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours (if afternoon nap occurred)
Day 5: Morning Wake Window = 4.5 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours (think about shortening this nap), Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours (if afternoon nap occurred)
Day 6: Morning Wake Window = 4.75 hours, Bedtime Wake Window = 4.5 hours (no second nap)
Ultimately, the primary nap will get late sufficient and lengthy sufficient that the afternoon nap received’t be taken or it is going to be too late within the day to supply it. In case your toddler is usually taking a day nap and never on different days, provide bedtime earlier on these days (~6:30 or 7:00 PM).
- Toddlers who do NOT tolerate being woken up from naps (cranky and fussy)
- Toddlers skipping the afternoon nap a number of days every week regardless of how brief or lengthy the morning nap is
- Toddlers with lengthy morning wake home windows, already
- Toddlers who would possibly take a brief morning nap because the wake window will increase
- Your toddler would possibly drop the afternoon nap in a short time
- Your toddler might take a brief morning nap, nonetheless, the afternoon nap permits them to catch up earlier than bedtime that evening, one of many advantages of this technique
- Your toddler would possibly take two brief naps, as a substitute, however that is short-term and a part of the transition in some instances.
Technique 3: Abrupt Change of the Schedule
The ultimate technique is just to maneuver your toddler to a 1-nap schedule abruptly. Often, if we do that it’s as a result of the morning wake window is already 4 hours (or longer) and the toddler is already skipping their afternoon nap most days OR awake for an extended time period in the course of the evening (insomnia). With this technique, you merely cease providing the second nap, transfer the primary wake window to 4 1/2 to five hours, and encourage no less than a 2+ hour nap.
How Lengthy Does it Take to Transition From 2 Naps to 1 Nap?
Usually talking, it takes roughly 2-3 weeks to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap. As well as, your toddler would possibly want two naps a few times every week whereas they transition. It will curb a number of the overtiredness.
Some days could also be higher than others however it’s widespread, and anticipated, for overtiredness to happen. We will’t all the time keep away from that however after just a few weeks, your toddler ought to regulate. That’s, they’ll regulate offered they’ve the appropriate 1-nap schedule for a toddler. Be certain you regulate it to suit your youngster!
I hope this text has helped you together with your toddler’s schedule! If you happen to want any assist, you already know the place to show.