That is an additional quick weeknight model of a standard Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
Shepherd’s Pie is a full meal with a base of saucy floor lamb and greens (though many individuals use beef). It’s all topped with mashed potato crust and baked till bubbly.
Straightforward and engaging, all 12 months spherical!
A Fast Shortcut Favourite
- Shepherd’s Pie is a comforting and hearty dish that’s good for an simple dinner.
- Utilizing frozen blended greens (and ready mashed potatoes) cuts down on prep time, making this recipe even sooner.
- The shortcut sauce choices within the recipe beneath make it simple to customise the dish to your pantry.
- Use leftover meat, veggies, gravy, or mashed potatoes, its a good way to make use of up components you have already got readily available or leftovers.
- This dish freezes and reheats nicely.
Components for Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s Pie will be ready contemporary, nevertheless it’s additionally a good way to make use of up any leftover meat, veggies, gravy, or mashed potatoes.
Floor Meat –You should use any floor meat on this recipe. Though lamb is conventional, I most frequently use floor beef. Leftover roast meat additionally works nicely.
Greens – Frozen blended greens make preparation fast and straightforward, however you should use leftover roasted veggies too. If utilizing contemporary greens, steam them till tender or cook dinner them with the meat earlier than including them to the dish.
Sauce – Shepherd’s Pie is flexible, and I’ve offered a few shortcut sauces within the recipe beneath. Nevertheless, you should use leftover gravy (or gravy combine) and tomato sauce, or any sauce you want.
Mashed Potatoes – Conventional mashed potatoes are what I most frequently use, however garlic mashed potatoes add nice taste to this dish! When you’re in a rush, you should use store-bought mashed potatoes.
How one can Make Shepherd’s Pie
- Make Mashed Potatoes: When you have leftover mashed potatoes, use these. If not, make do-it-yourself mashed potatoes. Tater tots make an incredible topping too!
- Brown Meat: Brown lamb (or one other sort of floor meat like beef) in a skillet with onion. If utilizing contemporary veggies, they are often diced and cooked together with the meat and onion.
- Add Sauce: Stir within the seasonings and sauce per the recipe beneath (should you’d like a from-scratch shepherd’s pie, this is the recipe we use!). Stir within the veggies.
- Layer and Bake: Pile the potatoes on high. A sprinkle of cheese just isn’t conventional, however it’s scrumptious!
Prep Forward and Ideas for Shepherd’s Pie
You’ll love how simple this dish is. It may be made a day prematurely, which makes dinner prep simpler.
- Layering: After prepping the meat combination, cool it and chill it within the fridge for 20 minutes to maintain the mashed potato layer separated.
- Prep Forward: Assemble the Shepherd’s Pie as much as sooner or later prematurely and refrigerate it. Let it come to room temperature for Half-hour earlier than baking.
- Fast Clear Up: In case your baking dish may be very full, place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet to keep away from any juices spilling into the underside of the oven.
How one can Freeze Shepherd’s Pie
- Put together as directed and funky fully. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap after which in foil. Freeze.
- Thaw in a single day within the fridge. Bake for 45 minutes lined and quarter-hour uncovered
Shepherd’s pie is a scrumptious combo of floor lamb (though many individuals use beef) that has been cooked with greens in a gravy or sauce. The lamb combination is then topped with a crust of creamy mashed potatoes.
This casserole is historically made with floor lamb. Many individuals make this recipe with floor beef nevertheless, should you use floor beef it’s truly known as Cottage Pie! (It’s also possible to change the meat for a vegetarian lentil version).
Both manner, this crustless meat pie is topped with mashed potatoes and baked till bubbly.
Historically, a shepherd’s pie just isn’t topped with cheese. That being stated, cheese is my love language, so I like so as to add a bit of bit on high. When you’d want, brush the potatoes with a bit of little bit of butter and skip the cheese.
Bake the shepherd’s pie recipe beneath for 25-Half-hour. When you’ve made it forward of time and it’s chilly from being within the fridge, bake it a bit longer, about 30-35 minutes.
Completely!! Make mashed sweet potatoes utilizing this recipe and pile them excessive!
Did you make this Straightforward Shepherd’s Pie recipe? Go away us a remark and a score beneath!
Straightforward Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Shepherd’s Pie is a standard Irish dish made with floor lamb, peas, and carrots, topped with mashed potatoes & cheddar cheese.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a big skillet or Dutch oven, cook dinner lamb (or beef), onion, and garlic over medium warmth till no pink stays. Drain any fats.
Stir in blended greens, soup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, basil, and pepper.
Unfold into the underside of a 3 quart or 9×13 inch casserole dish.
Spoon mashed potatoes over high and sprinkle with cheese if utilizing.
Baked for 25-Half-hour or till bubbly.
It is a shortcut recipe, view our from scratch shepherd’s pie recipe right here.
Substitute the tomato soup on this recipe for one of many following:
- 10.5 oz of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 packet of gravy combine ready as directed and simmered till thickened
- leftover do-it-yourself beef gravy.
Energy: 648 | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 22g | Fats: 24g | Saturated Fats: 11g | Ldl cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 730mg | Potassium: 916mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 2775IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 2.5mg
Vitamin info offered is an estimate and can fluctuate primarily based on cooking strategies and types of components used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Why is it known as Shepherd’s Pie?
Initially a meat pie made with minced (or floor) meat and mashed potatoes was generally known as a Cottage Pie (and it was even typically made with pastry a few years in the past). It is vitally common in Eire, Scotland, and England as nicely! Within the late 1800s, the pie was named Shepherd’s Pie if made with lamb (because the shepherd sorted the sheep) and if made with beef it was known as Cottage Pie.
Whatever the identify, this recipe is a basic Shepherd’s Pie recipe loaded with taste and the proper make-ahead meal to serve all 12 months lengthy!